Monday, December 13, 2010

How do Central American immigrants feel about applying for visas?




In the study described in the article “Implementing the U.S. Legalization Program”, the writer describes the experience of Mayan migrant workers who are applying for amnesty in 1987. One man, Enrique describes his doubt in the system and plans to return home.


“To tell you the truth, I don’t expect to get amnesty, but I applied because I have nothing to lose from applying, but everything to lose if we don’t… The way I look at it, it’s like paying a coyote to bet me here. You know, that is what the INS is- the biggest coyote around.”


When Enrique was asked what he would do if he did receive amnesty he responded,


“I don’t expect to, but even if I did, I’d probably return home. I don’t think I will get it (temporary residence) though, because where would I get the documentation? I really haven’t thought that far ahead. Even if I did get residency, I still would eventually return home. What I really want to do is start a small business in Guatemala. I also want to return to find a wife. It gets pretty lonely here when all you do is work.”

Enrique’s doubts in the system and desire to return home is common among undocumented workers in the U.S. Others were afraid to apply for fear of being deported. The workers who have come here from Central America usually end up staying extended periods of time whether they had planned to or not. After leaving family and friends behind and spending years and decades in the U.S., migrants become disconnected from the life back home. Sending money home to their families and communication via phone, letter or email is often the only contact they have with the people they left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment